Saturday, May 24, 2008

Saturday, May 24: One week from launch!

This time next week I'll be on Air Canada on my way to Vancouver via Toronto. I haven't started packing yet, but I did start a list with the goal of packing as light as possible. I have experience: I went to Russia as a teenager, Scandinavia in college, the Far East after graduation and Britain and France since. I learned not to pack anything I can't carry by myself through a train station, up a big flight of stairs and halfway across a city in a downpour. (So, yes to raincoat, no to three pairs of heels.)

The idea is to start in Vancouver and work my way across the western provinces to Ontario and finish with a few days knocking around Toronto and the Niagara region. Full disclosure: I'm doing it for the Canadian Tourism Commission and on their dime, but I've been promised total editorial freedom, so if the weather sucks or the train is late, I'll say so. I've vacationed in Eastern Canada since I was a child, and I am very fond of Canada and eager to see more of it, but I'm also a journalist, so I'm not interested in spin or puffery. What I tell you would be useless if it weren't honest.

So I hope you'll join me here as I depart on May 31 for my adventure. I hope you'll find helpful information that might help you plan a trip of your own. Let's face it: Despite everything that's happened in the past few years, Canada is still friendlier, closer and easier to get in and out of than a lot of other countries you could visit, and while the dollar is down a bit against the loonie, it's still not Monopoly money. Plus, they have very good beer.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read about this :) Canada sounds such a fun place!

Horace J. Digby said...

Sam,

I'll join the milions following on your blog.

I'm about 270 miles from Vancouver. This is so tempting. Canada is beautiful in spring time. But driving to Vancouver takes about six hours each way. Flying costs about $400. So, let me know when you are in Las Vegas. I can get there cheaper.

Your pal,
Horace J. Digby

P.S.
Имейте безопасную поездку, Сaм.

slick nick said...

Sam Bennett in Canada. WOW! Please don't do anything that will cause an international incident!

robertsc1966 said...

In anticipation of your trip, check out the Tim Horton's Trip Planner: http://www.timhortons.com/locator/index.html
You don't want to get too far away from those Timbits!

Any chance the railway would be interested in paying for our Quebec Carnaval trip in Feb 2009?!

H.O. Blues said...

Yes, do have a safe trip.

Eleanor Richards said...

Looking forward to following your adventures!

ThatDanGuy said...

Samantha,

Welcome to Canada!

Having lived in three western provinces so far myself, I trust you will enjoy your tour.

One small note - while Canada was founded primarily by beaver pelts and hockey, pelts are somewhat out of style here now, and the NHL playoffs this year are all happening close to your own neck of the woods.

Such is life...we still offer delightful maple syrup.

Bon voyage!!

Dan

Steeler_tom said...

Hey Samantha, Your #1 fan here! Thanks for the invite to tag along on your trip via your blog! I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures!

Bring me back a big ol' jug of pure maple syrup!

Mark the Shark said...

Bon voyage, Sam. The water's probably good, but you'll be better off drinking Unibroue beer, just don't plan on doing anything else the rest of the day!