Tuesday, June 3, 2008

June 2: Run outta town on a rail


I should mention, as a farewell to Vancouver, that I got in a brief walk on the seawall at Stanley Park, the second largest urban park in North America. Saw a couple of harbor seals!


I spent the whole day today riding the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Kamloops through some more astounding scenery. That seems to be in unlimited supply out here. I'll finish my journey to Banff on the train tomorrow and write more about it then, as well as catching up on some other stuff from the past couple of days, but I spent my whole evening here at the Comfort Inn and Suites in Kamloops figuring out how to get these videos I shot on the Whistler Mountaineer and while ziplining up on the blog. It took four hours and a technical consult from my seatmate, Joff from New Zealand, who just happens to be a professional computer guru (how's that for a stroke of luck?), but I got three out of five of them into blog-ready form. They're pretty damn good quality for a camera about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Two are of the Cheakamus Canyon, shot from the train to Whistler, and the third is shot from a secure location attached to my harness, in the vicinity of my right pectoral muscle, while I demonstrate ziplining with the help of one of our Ziptrek guides. Please watch and enjoy!

TECH RAGE NOTE: Reaction to the third video has so far been, "It sure would have been cool if you'd left the camera running while you actually slid down the zipline" -- and of course, I DID. I can see that when I play the video, but apparently others can't. Which makes me furious, because I lost a LOT of sleep fooling with that video, and it apparently doesn't even work right. So I'm going to leave it up, but let me tell you this: If you play it, look for the length. If it's loading at less than 2 minutes, DON'T BOTHER WATCHING IT. I start sliding at about 1 minute 50 and go till about 2 minutes 20, but if the full video doesn't load for you, don't waste your time. And there won't be any more video if it's going to keep me up all night and then not even play. Boy, that makes me angry.





5 comments:

H.O. Blues said...

I think I could watch raging rivers for a long time. The first video had a great build up to the river view.

Are you supposed to zip line in 'reverse'? Looking back on it, you seem to me to be a brave person.

Karen Olson said...

So very cool!!!

Mark the Shark said...

Great videos, Sam. It's amazing what those cameras can do. I may have to google some maps to check your progress. By the way, the narration added a lot to video #3. Perhaps you could add that to future videos (and throw in a Big Foot sighting just to see if we're paying attention!).

Killerbee said...

Great posting Sam and fantastic video. I'm surprised my work computer let it get through, but happy it did.

robertsc1966 said...

Thanks for bringing back terrifying memories of St. Lucia with that zip line video. You owe me $6,000 for all of the therapy you've just un-done. That sound of the zip line is unmistakable. If you need me I'll be under my desk rocking back and forth....